Monday, August 9, 2010

Our 24th anniversary

I ask again, does one celebrate a wedding anniversary when only one remains? I didn't have an answer for that question last year, and I still don't. But our anniversary has been on my mind for several days. Now and then, I've shed a few tears. My friend Ruth Ann wanted us to go to lunch, so I picked today for that, figuring I might need a friend.

As it turned out, a small concern with Melissa's pregnancy that turned up in an ultrasound today supplanted my "feeling sorry for myself" thoughts. After hearing that the amniotic fluid is low and if it stays low, Melissa's C-section will happen sooner than August 23, I swung into action. I began to get things together that I want to take with me when I drive to Iowa for the new baby's birth. I want to be able to leave at a moment's notice if necessary. If things get better for Melissa and the baby, I'll stay with my plan to drive out to Iowa on August 20.

So getting things together for the trip and getting the lawn mowed has kept me occupied ever since I got home from lunch with Ruth Ann--probably a good thing on this anniversary day.

No comments: